March 7, 2014
It's a great day to be a Jaguar!
- Car riders exit their vehicles on the south side of DCHS in the mornings, and car riders enter the building through the gym lobby. The doors are opened each morning at 7:50. In the afternoons, all car riders and walkers exit the building through the gym lobby at 3:33. Car riders are picked up on the south side of the building near the student parking lot.
- In order to check-out students with a parent note, parents will need to email or fax their checkout requests to our school. Parents can email our attendance clerk, Mr. Arron Deshazo, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or parents can fax the requests to Mr. Deshazo at 662-536-3621. Parents can view the new board policy regarding attendance at www.desotocountyschools.org.
- DeSoto Central High School has been designated as a Star School by the Mississippi Department of Education. This is the highest recognition that a school can receive, and it is based upon test scores, student academic growth, and graduation rate. The Mississippi Department of Education began this accreditation system in 2009, and only 8 high schools (including DeSoto Central High School) have received this honor in 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012.
- DeSoto Central High School was named by Newsweek Magazine as one of "America's Best High Schools" in May 2013.
- You can follow DeSoto Central High School on Twitter....@dchsjaguars.
- Everyone is encouraged to visit our school district's website at www.desotocountyschools.org. By viewing this website, you can get updates regarding board policy changes and school district events.
- You can follow our counselors through their blog at www.dchscounselors.blogspot.com
- Adults can purchase an all-sports athletic pass for $100. The pass will admit one adult to all home regular season athletic events at DeSoto Central High School. If you are interested in purchasing a pass, contact our athletic director, Matt Wallace, at email@example.com.
- Students must buy a parking decal in order to drive on campus. The cost of the decal is $5.00. Students can purchase parking decals during lunch periods.
- The graduation ceremony for the Class of 2014 will be held May 23, 2014 at 7:00 p.m. at the Landers Center.
- Students received their progress reports on February 4th.
- Students will receive their report cards on March 28th.
- Our counselors will meet with our current freshmen on March 25th to discuss scheduling options for the 2014-2015 school year. Our current freshmen will be able to begin selecting classes online at 5:00 p.m. on March 25th.
- If a student attempts to sign-up for a class for the 2014-2015 school year and it is already full, the student can put their name on the waiting list in the counselor's office. As slots become available, our counselors will use the waiting list to fill the available slots.
- Our students received the 9-weeks exam schedule in 2nd block on February 14th. We will have a regular bell schedule on both exam days. Students will take 1st and 2nd block exams Friday. Because of our snow days, our school district has extended the 3rd nine weeks through March 20th. As a result, some half-credit teachers may choose to give their exams on March 19th or March 20th. And students will continue to attend their 3rd nine-weeks classes when they return from Spring Break.
- Our juniors will take the ACT during the school day on April 23rd.
- Students received their SATP and MCT results on August 23rd in homeroom. If a student did not receive his/her scores, the student needs to notify our school test coordinator, Jessica Morris, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Students received their results from the PSAT test on December 10th. If a student did not receive his/her scores, the student needs to notify our school test coordinator, Jessica Morris, at email@example.com.
- Students received a handout regarding the new attendance law on August 9th. You can view the entire board policy on our district website, www.desotocountyschools.org.
- Our theatre department will be presenting "Pride and Prejudice" on March 20, 21, and 22. Each performance is scheduled for 7:00 p.m. in our Performing Arts Center.
- Our girls golf team has a match Monday, March 17th at Wedgewood.
- Our boys golf team has a match Tuesday, March 18th at Wedgewood.
- Our tennis team has a match on Thursday, March 20th at Southaven.
- Our baseball team plays this weekend (Friday and Saturday) at the Mid-Mississippi Classic in Jackson.
- Our softball team plays this weekend (Friday and Saturday) in the South Panola Tournament.
DCS is committed to providing a work environment that is free of discrimination. It is the policy of DCS that all applicants and employees are entitled to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion or creed, gender (includes pregnancy or related medical conditions), national origin, age, disability, veteran status or other protected characteristics as required by local, state and federal law.
Copyright © 2014 DeSoto Central High School