April 17, 2014
It's a great day to be a Jaguar!
- Car riders exit their vehicles on the south side of DCHS in the mornings, and car riders enter the building through the gym lobby. The doors are opened each morning at 7:50. In the afternoons, all car riders and walkers exit the building through the gym lobby at 3:33. Car riders are picked up on the south side of the building near the student parking lot.
- DeSoto Central High School has been designated as a Star School by the Mississippi Department of Education. This is the highest recognition that a school can receive, and it is based upon test scores, student academic growth, and graduation rate. The Mississippi Department of Education began this accreditation system in 2009, and only 8 high schools (including DeSoto Central High School) have received this honor in 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012.
- DeSoto Central High School was named by Newsweek Magazine as one of "America's Best High Schools" in May 2013.
- In order to check-out students with a parent note, parents will need to email or fax their checkout requests to our school. Parents can email our attendance clerk, Ms. Suzanne Maness, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or parents can fax their requests to Ms. Maness at 662-536-3621. Parents can view the new board policy regarding attendance at www.desotocountyschools.org.
- You can follow DeSoto Central High School on Twitter....@dchsjaguars.
- Everyone is encouraged to visit our school district's website at www.desotocountyschools.org. By viewing this website, you can get updates regarding board policy changes and school district events.
- You can follow our counselors through their blog at www.dchscounselors.blogspot.com
- Adults can purchase an all-sports athletic pass for $100. The pass will admit one adult to all home regular season athletic events at DeSoto Central High School. If you are interested in purchasing a pass, contact our athletic director, Matt Wallace, at email@example.com.
- Students must buy a parking decal in order to drive on campus. The cost of the decal is $5.00. Students can purchase parking decals during lunch periods.
- The graduation ceremony for the Class of 2014 will be held May 23, 2014 at 7:00 p.m. at the Landers Center.
- Students received their progress reports on April 15th.
- Students received their report cards on March 28th.
- If a student attempted to sign-up for a class for the 2014-2015 school year and it was already full, the student can put his/her name on the waiting list in the counselor's office. As slots become available, our counselors will use the waiting list to fill the available slots.
- We are looking for volunteers to assist with state testing in May. The dates are May 5-9. If you are available to assist with testing, please contact our testing coordinator, Ms. Jessica Morris, at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are appreciative of any help that we receive from the community.
- Our juniors met with our Holland Studios representative on April 11 to discuss their upcoming senior pictures. We use one photographer in order to maintain consistency in our yearbook and on our senior composite. In order for a senior to be on the composite and in the yearbook, he/she must have his/her pictures made at Holland Studios.
- Students will take the Biology I Case 21 test today (Thursday).
- Our juniors will take the ACT during the school day next Wednesday (April 23rd).
- Senior Breakfast tickets are on sale every day this week in the main office. Seniors can purchase 2 tickets each this week. Tickets are $18 each, and seniors are admitted for free. If any tickets remain after this week, seniors will be able to purchase an unlimited number of tickets beginning at 8:15 a.m. on Monday, April 21.
- If a student has not received his/her fall SATP scores, the student/parent can contact our school test coordinator, Jessica Morris, at email@example.com.
- Students received their results from the PSAT test on December 10th. If a student did not receive his/her scores, the student/parent can contact our school test coordinator, Jessica Morris, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Students received a handout regarding the new attendance law on August 9th. You can view the entire board policy on our district website, www.desotocountyschools.org.
- Our theatre department will be presenting "Macbeth" on May 15, 16, and 17. Each performance is scheduled for 7:00 p.m. in our Performing Arts Center.
- Our girls track team won the division championship, and our boys team finished 2nd at the division meet.
- Our baseball team plays Saturday in Tupelo against Madison Central and Tupelo.
- Our softball team plays today (Thursday) at home against Horn Lake.
DCS is committed to providing a work environment that is free of discrimination. It is the policy of DCS that all applicants and employees are entitled to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion or creed, gender (includes pregnancy or related medical conditions), national origin, age, disability, veteran status or other protected characteristics as required by local, state and federal law.
Copyright © 2014 DeSoto Central High School